2018/2019 – Plan on a Page priorities
Putting patients first
- Create a new Quality Improvement Strategy for the University Hospitals of Derby & Burton building on the best from the former Derby and Burton Trusts.
- To focus particularly on:
- Continuing to identify and reduce harm
- Better recognise patients who are clinically deteriorating and treat appropriately
- Identify and then start treatment for all patients with Sepsis
- Align safety systems and processes across all our hospitals
- Identify, learn from and reduce preventable deaths
- Identify and reduce unwarranted variations in clinical practice
- Deliver the aims of our Maternity Safety Plan
- Create an environment where we continue to support our staff to protect our patients and feel free to report any patient safety concerns
- Build on our CQC ‘GOOD’ rating and make progress with our ambition to achieve ‘OUTSTANDING’
Right first time
- Develop a comprehensive clinical service strategy – underpinning the delivery of the aims set out in our Patients’ Benefits Case for merger and describing further plans for all our clinical services
- Ensure our patients have timely access to services demonstrated through achievement of national access standards for A&E, planned care and cancer
- Through our transformation programme we will redesign services to deliver better care more efficiently. This year we will focus particularly on making best use of our theatre and outpatient resources
- Develop a whole organisation demand and capacity plan ensuring that there are sufficient beds, theatres, diagnostic resources etc so that patients do not experience unnecessary delays
- Work with our system partners in Staffordshire and Derbyshire to ensure that as much care is delivered as close to home as possible and that patients do not experience unnecessary admissions or stay longer than they need to.
Investing our resources wisely
- Deliver the financial benefits described in the Full Business Case for our merger
- Ensure that core services deliver value for money and integrate our shared support services to reduce overhead costs
- Maximise our commercial opportunities, both independently and with partners
- Develop and implement an Estates strategy to make best use of the assets we have
- Implement our five-year capital plan to deliver safe and effective services
- Develop with our system partners in Derbyshire and Staffordshire a clear strategy for maximising the use of our community hospitals
- Improve financial knowledge of non-finance staff across the new organisation.
Developing our people
- Deliver a robust plan of Organisational Development to support individuals, teams and departments; helping to foster engagement with the aims of the new organisation and the delivery of better care for patients
- We will invite all our people to be part of a ‘conversation’ about our values and aims for our new organisation and how we will work together to achieve them
- We will offer a holistic portfolio of education, training and development opportunities that is diverse, varied and supports personal and service development
- We will use innovative and efficient processes to recruit whilst offering a flexible and personal approach to staff retention
- Health and Wellbeing will be a priority area as we continue to develop a comprehensive range of interventions to treat, prevent and support optimum staff health
- Real, tangible actions will be developed and implemented to address diversity and representation across the organisation and the population we serve
- We will develop a combined People Strategy for the new organisation, building on the good work of the two former Trusts and reflecting the recently published National Workforce Strategy 2018.
Ensuring value through partnership
- Work with health and care system partners across Derbyshire and Staffordshire, both NHS commissioners and providers, and the voluntary and independent sectors to deliver new models of ‘place based’ care
- Build our relationships with other specialist providers to deliver more ‘networked’ arrangements for specialised hospital services
- Develop our partnerships with Health Education England and our partner higher and further education institutions to create the workforce of the future
- Pursue our research interests within the NHS research community and with local Universities as part of our Research E and Development Strategy.
Plan on a Page 2018/2019
Want to download a copy of Plan on a Page 2018/2019?