What is a vascular scientist?

Vascular science relates to how blood flows in the body.

If you work in vascular science, you’ll use ultrasound, and other techniques which don't break the skin, to image and assess the blood flow of patients with diseases of the arteries and veins. You’ll assist in the diagnosis of disorders, including:

  • transient ischaemic attack (TIA)
  • stroke
  • aneurysm
  • peripheral arterial disease
  • deep vein thrombosis
  • varicose veins

Over the last 12 months, the Vascular team at Royal Derby Hospital has performed over 7500 vascular scans.

Rob, Vascular Scientist at UHDB, explains more about his role.

What type of roles are available?

  • Trainee vascular scientist
  • Vascular scientist
  • Senior/consultant/lead vascular scientist

Trainee vascular scientist

This role requires a minimum of a degree in any related science, including physiology, biochemistry, sport-science, human-biology, biology, and physics. Training opportunities can either be provided by an NHS Trust, or via the national 'Scientific Training Programme', through the National School of Healthcare Science. 

Vascular scientist

This role requires accreditation by the Society for Vascular Technology of Great Britain and Ireland. It requires a minimum of three years experience, completion of two theory exams, and a practical exam. There is also a minimum quota for the number of scans performed. 

Senior/consultant/lead vascular scientist

This role requires vast experience, advanced skills, and ideally a management qualification, or completion of the 'Higher Specialist Scientific Training programme', through the National School of Healthcare Science.

You find out more about the life of a vascular scientist >, by visiting the NHS careers website.