Deciding how to feed your baby
We want to help and support you look at baby feeding options, and to make the right baby feeding choice for you and your family. Talk to your midwife and health visitor who can answer your questions and give you some tips to help get feeding started.
Remember you don’t have to make a decision about how you will feed your baby until you hold your baby in your arms.
We can help you find out more about;
- when to feed baby (responding to baby’s cues)
- breast feeding, expressing your milk, mixed feeding or bottle feeding
- when your baby has to be cared for on the Neonatal Unit
- when your baby is feeding frequently in the first few days and/or you are worried about your milk supply
- when your baby is reluctant to feed or is jaundiced
- sterilising your feeding equipment
You will be able to find everything you need to build your confidence and overcome any challenges you may have all in one place.
Bite-sized videos on feeding your newborn
‘Virtual’ antenatal infant feeding class
You may wish to join our ‘virtual’ antenatal infant feeding class, run via MS Teams.
If you would like to take part, please contact 01283 511511 extension 4351, on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday between 10.30am - 1pm.
You will be asked for your name, a contact telephone number, your due date, and email address.
Our Infant Feeding team will then send you your personal MS Teams invitation.
Information and tips from NHS feeding experts and real life stories from mums
- Download a guide to help you start breastfeeding (opens in new window) [pdf]
- Download a guide to bottle feeding (opens in new window) [pdf]
- Visit the UNICEF website to find out how parents can be partners in care (opens in new window) >
First Steps Nutrition
First Steps Nutrition is an independent site where you can get information about eating well in pregnancy, different milks available in the UK, a simple guide to formula and a statement about formula preparation machines.