How we investigate your complaint
Read our step-by-step process on how we will investigate your complaints and concerns.
Receipt of your complaint
On receipt of your complaint, we undertake initial checks to ensure:
- We have the patient’s full details to enable us to identify the correct medical records
- The complaint is made within twelve months of the event
If we have a telephone number for you, we will attempt to contact you to discuss your concerns and the complaints process.
- We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days
- If required, we will request consent to disclose confidential information
- We will identify a Lead Investigator who will look into the issues raised
- We will discuss and agree with you how to respond to your complaint (in writing or by arranging a meeting)
- We will agree a timescale in which we will aim to respond to you
The complaint investigation
During the complaint investigation:
- A thorough investigation is carried out by the appointed Lead Investigator
- If any further information is required, the Lead Investigator will contact you directly to discuss this
- If we are delayed in our response, we will contact you to provide an update
The Trust's response
Having completed our investigation we will provide you with a response either in writing or during a recorded complaint meeting. The Trust response will be accompanied by a covering letter signed by our Chief Executive, or a member of the Executive Team.
We aim to;
- Carry out an investigation and offer an explanation for what happened
- Offer an apology
- Learn from your complaint and take steps to put matters right
What we cannot do
The complaints process does not cover the following:
- Claims for negligence
- Disciplinary issues
Our assurance to you
- The Trust will take your complaint seriously
- Your complaint is not kept in your medical notes and will not affect your future care
- We value your opinion and are committed to learning from the feedback we receive
What if you remain dissatisfied or you have further questions?
We will aim to provide a full resolution of your concerns. If you have further questions or require additional explanation, please submit these in writing to the Complaints Team who will liaise with the Lead Investigator for their review.
If you are dissatisfied with the response
Please write to the Complaints Team detailing your concerns using the contact details below, or contact the Chief Executive.
Request an independent review of your complaint
To request an independent review of your complaint, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) (opens in new window) >