Transition from child to adult audiology services

The transition service aims to help prepare children to manage their hearing and hearing aid(s) independently, and transition their care to the adult’s audiology service. 

We also provide advice and guidance in regards to education and employment.


When starting employment, a hearing impaired patient may require reasonable adjustments, which can be made by the employer. We advise that the occupational health department be consulted for their advice and guidance.

Access to Work

The government Access to Work programme may also be consulted for support. The scheme may be able to offer a grant to help cover any costs of practical support in the workplace, such as any specialist equipment or adaptations that may be required.

Get support in work if you have a disability (opens in new window) >

Action on Hearing Loss

The national charity, Action on Hearing Loss, is also able to give practical guidance and support surrounding the recruitment process and how to create an inclusive workplace.

Visit the Action on Hearing Loss website (opens in new window) >



Nearly every college or university will have a SENCO (Specialist Educational Needs Coordinator) who will be able to offer reasonable adjustments and support where needed for any student with a disability.

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

We encourage all young people to apply for Disabled Student Allowance though their educational institution. This can be claimed in addition to any student finance loans or grants to cover any additional study-related cost which incur due to their hearing impairment. 

Get help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability (opens in new window) >


Adult Audiology Department

The adult audiology service > will review your hearing and hearing aid provision in the same way as at the children’s audiology department. In order to get an appointment you are required to contact the department independently. We advise that you do this every 3 years. You can also access the service for any hearing aid repairs, new impressions or for new batteries.

Royal Derby Hospital

The adult audiology department is based at:

Head and Neck Outpatients 
Kings Treatment Centre, Level 2
Uttoxeter Road
DE22 8NE

Telephone:  01332 785 345

We have outreach clinics at Florence Nightingale Community Hospital, as well at Belper, Long Eaton, Alfreton, Ilkeston, Heanor, Swadlincote and Ashbourne.

Queen's Hospital Burton

The adult audiology department is based at:

Reception B, Floor 1
Belvedere Road
Burton on Trent
DE13 0RB

Telephone:  01283 593 014

We have outreach clinics at Samuel Johnson Community Hospital, Lichfield, Sir Robert Peel Hospital, Tamworth, Swadlincote, Hilton and Uttoxeter.